Taurus M. James Official Website: Taurus M. James - Helping Other People Elevate - Taurus M. James is HOPE ( Helping Other People Elevate)
Skip to MenuSkip to NavigationSkip to Main Content

How to Enroll a Newborn Child in DEERS as a Civilian Male Military Spouse

image for How to Enroll a Newborn Child in DEERS as a Civilian Male Military Spouse
Image for How to Enroll a Newborn Child in DEERS as a Civilian Male Military Spouse – Taurus M. James

If you're a civilian male military spouse with a newborn child, congrats!

One of the first things you'll need to do is enroll your child in DEERS, the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System. This will make them eligible for military benefits, including TRICARE health insurance.

How to Enroll Your Newborn Child in DEERS

Here are the steps on how to enroll your newborn child in DEERS:

  1. Gather the required documents. You'll need to bring the following documents to your local DEERS office:
    • Child's birth certificate
    • Child's Social Security card (if you have one)
    • Marriage certificate
    • Sponsor's ID (this is your spouse, the active duty service member)
  2. Find your local DEERS office. You can use the RAPIDS Site Locator to find a DEERS office near you.
  3. Visit the DEERS office during business hours. Be sure to bring all of the required documents with you.
  4. Complete the DD Form 1172-2. This is the DEERS enrollment form.
  5. Submit the form and documents to a DEERS representative. The representative will review your documents and enroll your child in DEERS.

Once your child is enrolled in DEERS, they will be eligible for military benefits, including TRICARE health insurance. 

You will receive a DEERS enrollment confirmation letter in the mail. You'll need to keep this letter for your records.

Additional Tips on Enrolling Your Newborn Child in DEERS

Here are some additional tips for enrolling your newborn child in DEERS:

  • Enroll your child in DEERS as soon as possible after birth. This will ensure that they are eligible for military benefits without any delay.
  • If you don't have a Social Security card for your child yet, you can still enroll them in DEERS. The DEERS office will assign them a temporary ID number. You'll need to provide their actual Social Security card to the DEERS office within 90 days.
  • If you have any questions about enrolling your child in DEERS, contact your local DEERS office. They can help you with the process and answer any questions you have.

Benefits of Enrolling a Newborn Child in DEERS

Enrolling your newborn child in DEERS has many benefits, including:

  • Access to TRICARE health insurance: TRICARE is the military's health insurance program. It provides comprehensive health coverage for service members, their families, and retirees.
  • Eligibility for other military benefits: Once your child is enrolled in DEERS, they will be eligible for other military benefits, such as child care subsidies, educational assistance, and commissary and exchange privileges.

Tips for Civilian Male Military Spouses Who Are New Dads

Being a new dad is a challenging and rewarding experience. Here are a few tips for civilian male military spouses who are new dads:

  • Communicate with your spouse: Let your spouse know what you need and how you can support them.
  • Be patient and understanding: Everyone adjusts to parenthood at their own pace. Be patient with yourself and your spouse.
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help: There are many resources available to help new dads, such as support groups and parenting classes.

Resources for Civilian Male Military Spouses and Their Families

  • Machospouse.com: A website for civilian male military spouses, offering support and resources.
  • Military OneSource: A website and phone number that provides a variety of resources for military families, including childcare assistance, employment assistance, and financial assistance.
  • Military Spouse Advocacy Network: A nonprofit organization that provides support and advocacy for military spouses.


Enrolling your newborn child in DEERS is an important step for civilian male military spouses. 

It will ensure that your child is eligible for military benefits, including TRICARE health insurance. 

By following the steps above, you can easily enroll your child in DEERS and get them started on their journey to a healthy and happy life.


Taurus M. James Male Military SpouseTaurus James is the 2016 Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of the Year from Wright Patterson Air Force Base.  Taurus is a 20-year civilian male military spouse and stay-at-home-dad. He is also a minister and composer of Moody Instrumental Music. Taurus is a professional IT Consultant and Web Developer, and he built and maintains the Machospouse.com website for free. Find out more about Taurus through his blog:

"Faithwalk Music: Faith, Music and Life of a Moody Instrumental Musician"


Photo by Jamie Kern on Unsplash

Topics: DEERS military spouse newborn child military benefits TRICARE



Share your favorite Taurus M. James Official Website content to your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.

Thank you for sharing!


You may also like

Soul Speak Sessions

Check out my unscripted live music creation sessions on Facebook Live.

Watch Now


African Americans in STEM

Learn More

Let's HOPE Together

Help Other People Elevate

Learn More

Release your music!

DistroKid is the only music distribution service that lets you upload unlimited music to stores for one low price!

Sign Up Now!

Let's HOPE Together!

Help Other People Elevate

Learn More